Please find below a current list of peer-reviewed manuscripts I have published or are currently under review.
These span investigations into the neurobiological effects of diet, neurodegeneration, understanding how memories are formed, and cognitive test development. Links will take you to relevant journal websites. For full-text pdf’s of any of these manuscripts please contact me.
54. Reichelt, A.C., & Dunkley, B. T. (2022). Nutrition and neutraceutical interventions as therapeutic strategies to aid recovery from mild traumatic brain injuries.
53. Reichelt, A. (2022). Complexities of psychedelics for therapeutic use in obesity and eating disorders. Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience: JPN, 47(5), E366.
52. Ghosh-Swaby, O. R., Reichelt, A. C., Sheppard, P. A., Davies, J., Bussey, T. J., & Saksida, L. M. (2022). Metabolic hormones mediate cognition. Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 101009.
51. Sgro, M., Kodila, Z. N., Brady, R. D., Reichelt, A. C., Mychaisuk, R., & Yamakawa, G. R. (2022). Synchronizing our clocks as we age: the influence of the brain-gut-immune axis on the sleep-wake cycle across the lifespan. Sleep, 45(3), zsab268.
50. Kljakic, O., Janíčková, H., Skirzewski, M., Reichelt, A., Memar, S., El Mestikawy, S., Li, Y., Saksida, L.M., Bussey, T.J., Prado, V.F. and Prado, M.A (2022). Functional dissociation of behavioral effects from acetylcholine and glutamate released from cholinergic striatal interneurons. The FASEB Journal, 36(2), p.e22135.
49. Gharehgazlou, A., Jetly, R., Rhind, S. G., Reichelt, A. C., Da Costa, L., & Dunkley, B. T. (2022). Cortical Gyrification Morphology in Adult Males with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Neurotrauma reports, 3(1), 299-307
48. Clark, T. D., Reichelt, A. C., Ghosh-Swaby, O., Simpson, S. J., & Crean, A. J. (2022). Nutrition, anxiety and hormones. Why sex differences matter in the link between obesity and behavior. Physiology & Behavior, 113713.
47. Bodden, C., Hannan, A. J., & Reichelt, A. C. (2021). Of ‘junk food’and ‘brain food’: how parental diet influences offspring neurobiology and behaviour. Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism, 32(8), 566-578.
46. Reichelt, A.C., Kramar, C.P., Ghosh-Swaby, O.R., Sheppard, P. A., Kent, B., Bekinschtein, P.M., Saksida, L.M. and Bussey, T.J. (2021) The Spontaneous Location Recognition Task: A behavioural test for assessing spatial pattern separation in rats and mice. Nature Protocols
45. Bodden, C., Hannan, A.J. and Reichelt, A.C. (2021) How parental diet influences offspring neurobiology and behaviour. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
44. Reichelt, A.C., Lemieux, C., Princz-Lebel, O., Singh, A., Bussey, T.J. and Saksida, L.M. (2021) Age-dependent and region-specific alteration of parvalbumin neurons, perineuronal nets and microglia in the mouse prefrontal cortex and hippocampus following obesogenic diet consumption. Scientific Reports
43. Gilchrist, C., Cumberland, A., Kondos-Devcic, D., Hill, R., Khore, M., Quezada, S., Reichelt, A.C., and Tolcos, M.J. (2021) Hippocampal Neurogenesis and Memory in Intrauterine Growth Restricted Adolescent Rats. Hippocampus.
42. Reichelt, A.C. (2020) Is loss of perineuronal nets a critical pathological event in Alzheimer’s disease? EBioMedicine
41. Lowe, C.J., Morton, J.B. and Reichelt, A.C. (2020) Adolescent obesity – A brain health approach. The Lancet Child and Adolescent Health
40. Reichelt, A.C., Collett, J. C. and Hallam, K.T. (2020) Assessing the Impacts of Cannabis versus Alcohol and Methamphetamines on Young Australians in Youth AOD Treatment. BMC Psychiatry
39. Pham, X., Wright, D.K., Atapour, N., Chan, J. M-H, Watkins, K.J., Worthy, K.L., Rosa, M.G.P.R., Reichelt, A.C., Reser, D.H. (2019) Internal subdivisions of the marmoset claustrum complex: Identification by myeloarchitectural features and high field strength imaging. Frontiers in Neuroanatomy
38. Bodden, C., Hannan, A.J. and Reichelt, A.C. (2020) Diet-induced modification of the sperm epigenome programs metabolism and behaviour. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
37. Reichelt, A.C. Hare, D.J., Bussey, T.J. and Saksida, L.M. (2019) Perineuronal nets: Plasticity, protection and therapeutic potential. Trends in Neuroscience
36. Pervolaraki, E., Tyson, A., Pibiri, F., Poulter, S.L., Reichelt, A.C., Rodgers, R.J., Clapcote, S.J., Lever, C., Andreae, L. and Dachtler, J. (2019) The within-subject application of diffusion tensor MRI and CLARITY reveals brain structural changes in Nrxn2 deletion mice. Molecular Autism
35. Reichelt, A.C. Gibson, G.D., Abbott, K.N. and Hare, D.J. (2019) A high-fat high-sugar diet in adolescent rats impairs social memory and alters chemical markers characteristic of atypical neuroplasticity and GABAergic neurodevelopment in the medial prefrontal cortex. Food and Function
34. Lowe, C.J., Reichelt, A.C. and Hall, P.A. (2019) The prefrontal cortex and obesity: A health neuroscience perspective. Trends in Cognitive Neuroscience.
See discussions of this paper in:
- Neuroscience News – A Reciprocal Relationship Between Obesity and Self Control
- Western News – Pre-frontal activity can be recipe for obesity
- Medical News Bulletin – How is obesity related to self-control?
33. Lowe, C.J. and Reichelt, A.C. (2019) Resisting sweet temptations: Can magnetic resonance imaging reveal the neural signatures of dietary self-control? Journal of Neuroscience, 39 (4), 581-583
32. Reichelt, A.C. Loughman, A., Bernard, A., Abbott, K.N., Raipuria, M., Dachtler, J.D., Van, T.T.H. and Moore, R. (2018) An intermittent hypercaloric diet alters gut microbiota, prefrontal cortical gene expression and social behaviours in rats. Nutritional Neuroscience. 1-15
31. Xu, T.J. and Reichelt, A.C. (2018). Daily access to sucrose, or sucrose plus caffeine, differentially impacts cognition, anxiety-like behaviours and neuroplasticity markers in adolescent rats. Neuropharmacology. 137, 24-32
30. Buyukata, C., Xu, T.J., Vukalo, M., Khore, M. A. and Reichelt, A.C. (2018). Impact of high sucrose diets on the discrimination of overlapping spatial and object memories. Physiology and Behavior.
29. Reichelt, A.C., Reagan, L.P., Stoeckel, L.E., Winstanley C.A., and Page K.A. (2018). Dietary influences on cognition. Physiology and Behavior.
28. Baker, K.D., Loughman, A., Spencer, S.J. and Reichelt A.C. (2017) The impact of obesity and hypercaloric diet consumption on anxiety and emotional behavior across the lifespan. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 83, 173-182
27. Reichelt, A.C. and Rank, M.M. (2017) The impact of junk foods on the adolescent brain. Birth Defects Research: Reviews. 109:1649–1658.
26. Reichelt, A.C., Westbrook, R.F and Morris, M.J. (2017) Editorial: Impact of diet on learning, memory and cognition. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience.
25. Wong, A., Dogra, V.R. and Reichelt, A.C. (2017) High sucrose diets in male rats disrupt aspects of decision making tasks, motivation and spatial memory, but not impulsivity measured by operant delay-discounting. Behavioural Brain Research. 327:144-154
24. Labouesse, M.A., Richetto, J., Notter, T., Gschwind, T., Weber-Stadlbauer, U., Pujadas, L., Soriano, E., Labouesse, C., Reichelt, A.C., Langhans, W., Chaves, P., and Meyer, U. (2017) Hypervulnerability of the adolescent prefrontal cortex to nutritional stress via reelin deficiency. Molecular Psychiatry. 22(7):961-971
23. Reichelt, A.C. (2016) Adolescent maturational transitions in the prefrontal cortex and dopamine signalling as a risk factor for the development of obesity and high fat / high sugar diet-induced cognitive deficits. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience. 10:189
22. Baker, K.D. and Reichelt, A.C. (2016) Impaired fear extinction retention and increased anxiety-like behaviours induced by limited daily access to a high-fat/high-sugar diet in male rats: Implications for diet-induced prefrontal cortex dysregulation. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory. 136: 127-138
21. Reichelt, A.C., Morris, M.J. and Westbrook, R.F. (2016) Sucrose supplemented diets impair spatial pattern separation memory in rats. Learning and Memory, 23 (7), 386-390.
20. Reichelt, A.C., Abbott, K.N., Morris, M.J. and Westbrook, R.F. (2016) Differential motivational profiles following adolescent sucrose access in male and female rats. Physiology and Behavior, 157: 13-19.
19. Abbott, K.N., Westbrook, R.F., Morris, M.J. and Reichelt, A.C. (2016) Sex-specific effects of daily exposure to sucrose on spatial memory performance in male and female rats, and implications for estrous cycle stage. Physiology and Behavior, 162:52-60.
18. Morris, M.J, Beilharz, J.E., Maniam, J., Reichelt, A.C., and Westbrook RF. (2015) Why is obesity such a problem in the 21st century? The intersection of palatable food, cues and reward pathways, stress, and cognition. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 58: 36-45.
17. Reichelt, A.C. and Dachtler, J. (2015). The role of neurexins and neuroligins in autism. In Fatemi, S.H. & Manto, M. (Eds.) The Molecular Basis of Autism. Springer, 361-381
16. Reichelt, A.C., Killcross, S., Hambly, L.D., Morris, M.J. and Westbrook, R.F. (2015) Impact of adolescent sucrose access on cognitive control, recognition memory, and parvalbumin immunoreactivity. Learning and Memory 22: 215-224.
15. Reichelt, A.C., Maniam, J., Westbrook, R.F., and Morris, M.J. (2015). Dietary-induced obesity disrupts trace fear conditioning and decreases hippocampal reelin expression. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 43: 68-75.
14. Reichelt, A.C., Westbrook, R.F., and Morris, M.J. (2015). Integration of reward signalling and appetite regulating peptide systems in the control of food-cue responses. British Journal of Pharmacology 172: 5225-5238.
13. Exton-McGuinness, M.T., Lee, J.L., and Reichelt, A.C. (2015). Updating memories–the role of prediction errors in memory reconsolidation. Behavioural Brain Research 278: 375-384.
12. Reichelt, A.C., Morris, M.J., and Westbrook, R.F. (2014). Cafeteria diet impairs expression of sensory-specific satiety and stimulus-outcome learning. Frontiers in Psychology 5: 852.
11. Siette, J., Reichelt, A.C., and Westbrook, R.F. (2014). A bout of voluntary running enhances context conditioned fear, its extinction, and its reconsolidation. Learning & Memory 21: 73-81.
10. Humby, T., Eddy, J.B., Good, M.A, Reichelt, A.C., and Wilkinson, L.S. (2013). A novel translational assay of response inhibition and impulsivity: effects of prefrontal cortex lesions, drugs used in ADHD, and serotonin 2C receptor antagonism. Neuropsychopharmacology 38: 2150-2159.
9. Martire, S.I., Tran, D.M. and Reichelt, A.C. (2013). Preventing Binge Eating with Deep Brain Stimulation – Can Compulsive Eating be Switched Off? Frontiers in Psychiatry 4: 168.
8. Reichelt, A.C., Exton-McGuinness, M.T., and Lee, J.L. (2013). Ventral tegmental dopamine dysregulation prevents appetitive memory destabilization. The Journal of Neuroscience 33: 14205-14210.
7. Reichelt, A.C., Good, M.A, and Killcross, S. (2013). Attenuation of acute d-amphetamine-induced disruption of conflict resolution by clozapine, but not alpha-flupenthixol in rats. Journal of Psychopharmacology 27: 1023-1031.
6. Reichelt, A.C., Killcross, S, Wilkinson, L.S, Humby, T, and Good, M.A. (2013). Transgenic expression of the FTDP-17 tauV337M mutation in brain dissociates components of executive function in mice. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory 104: 73-81.
5. Reichelt, A.C. and Lee, J.L. (2013). Memory reconsolidation in aversive and appetitive settings. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience 7: 118.
4. Reichelt, A.C. and Lee, J.L. (2013). Over-expectation generated in a complex appetitive goal-tracking task is capable of inducing memory reconsolidation. Psychopharmacology 226: 649-658.
3. Reichelt, A.C., Rodgers, R.J, and Clapcote, S.J. (2012). The role of neurexins in schizophrenia and autistic spectrum disorder. Neuropharmacology 62: 1519-1526.
2. Reichelt, A.C. and Lee, J.L. (2012). Appetitive Pavlovian goal-tracking memories reconsolidate only under specific conditions. Learning & Memory 20: 51-60
1. Reichelt, A.C., Lin, T.E, Harrison, J.J, Honey, R.C, and Good, M.A. (2011). Differential role of the hippocampus in response-outcome and context-outcome learning: evidence from selective satiation procedures. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory 96: 248-253.